Livescene 2 – Microcosm

Wane – the-crash-livescene-1

GM
07-Jul-18 01:48 PM

**———–
Livescene: Black Flowers Blossom – PCs: Cat, VOTH
———–**

The airlock opens with a muffled scream. Cat and VOTH step through into a hallway of the Microcosm. Emergency lights pulse, bathing the floors and walls in squalid mint green light. The air is musty, acrid. A faint breeze brings a sickly sweet smell, like rotting apples, through the vents. A flickering sign catches their eyes.

**SECTOR YAMA-BLUE-19: COMMAND AND CONTROL. PROPER AUTHORIZATION BADGE MUST BE WORN AT ALL TIMES.**

<—– **BRIDGE**

—–> **OFFICERS LOUNGE**

Cat
07-Jul-18 01:50 PM

Cat looks back and forth, then over at Voth, silently asking not so much for orders as opinion, which can be discarded or followed according to feline whim.

VOTH
07-Jul-18 01:53 PM

A glittering aura and imperious stride accompanied VOTH as he entered the Microcosm with the aid of the permissions gifted to him so long ago. He cast his gaze upon his more diminutive companion. "We should NOT linger, FELINE. Our TASK is KNOWN, our PURPOSE is CLEAR."

"The BRIDGE, then, must be our first GOAL."

Cat
07-Jul-18 01:56 PM

Cat purrs, "Try to walk slowly," before creeping ahead, trying to scout the path forward before his less…subtle companion sets off any traps or alerts any prey.

GM
07-Jul-18 01:58 PM

The bridge isn't far, VOTH only has to punch in his passphrase again, and provide a retinal scan . (Gogoth was always a stickler about security) The door slides open for a moment.

Then the lights go out. Something shudders, metal creaks far below. The door freezes in position. Cat simply slides through the opening, while VOTH forces it open. The bridge is dark now, the last controls guttering with light.

VOTH walks up to them one. It's covered in the same oily black fluid, it's sickly sweet, mingled with salt and bile. It drips from the circuits all over the bridge.

TO BE SORRY
TO BE SORRY
t0 BE S-RRRRRRRRRRRR

VOTH
07-Jul-18 02:01 PM

VOTH walked to the machinery, an expression of barely disguised contempt on his masked face at the sorry state of the once so graceful creation. Yet, there must've been some measure of the past machine still within it. Some part of it still loyal to The Three Pillars.

"SERVANT", he spoke, tone authoritative. "HEED."

Cat
07-Jul-18 02:02 PM

Cat thinks that Voth had better not be talking to him.

GM
07-Jul-18 02:04 PM

The lights flicker on again.

You very much wish they didn't.

The oily black fluid is growing spindly legs, eyes. It looks at you for a moment, then continues hunting for something else – magnetic tape. When the strands of liquid see them they dash towards them and begin chewing.

GRETINGS USeR VOTH

COmmANG?

Cat
07-Jul-18 02:06 PM

Cat knows vermin when he sees it! He pounces on the fluid!

VOTH
07-Jul-18 02:06 PM

"SERVANT", VOTH continued, "Where are the SOUL STASIS TANKS?"

"SERVANT", yet again, "ENGINE DIAGNOSTIC."

GM
07-Jul-18 02:10 PM

The streamer of black liquid screams, whatever Cat gets in his mouth turns to mist – a rotten, acrid mist that clings to the back of his throat. For a moment, he thinks he can hear Coyote chuckling. No. Couldn't be.

STATATANKS ARE iiii SECTION PENDULUM-YELLOW-12. BELown CENTRAL DATA STORAGE. STATUS UNKNOWN. UNKNOWN PATHOGEN HAS IN-IMPROVED sysTEMS we are sorry for the inconvenience

ENGINES: UNKNOWN

CENTRAL CONTROL: OFFLINE

PRIMARY REACTOR: INF-PROVED you're welcome

more systems sail past, all the same UNKNOWN, IMPROVED, or OFFLINE

VOTH
07-Jul-18 02:12 PM

"SERVANT", one more question, "CREW STATUS? ENTITIES ONBOARD?"

GM
07-Jul-18 02:12 PM

IMProveD

Cat
07-Jul-18 02:13 PM

Cat makes a disgusted feline noise. If there's another streamer of liquid, this time he sticks with using his paws.

GM
07-Jul-18 02:15 PM

The others have already beaten a retreat back to the consoles, and leer out with a bouquet of eyes.

VOTH
07-Jul-18 02:16 PM

VOTH narrowed his eyes, "THANK YOU, SERVANT", he turned on his heels and started marching towards the doors again, "A SINGULAR clue has been OFFERED. OFFER your thanks for this FORTUNE", he did not look directly at Cat as he spoke, keeping his gaze stoically forward as he walked, "But the REST we have to DISCOVER OURSELVES. Thus you must STEEL your SPIRIT, CAT."

Cat
07-Jul-18 02:20 PM

Cat spends a moment or two pacing in front of the consoles, daring the liquid to come out again.

GM
07-Jul-18 02:23 PM

The elevators are, of course, offline. Until you walk past. They light up and their signs say IMPROVED.

Instead, VOTH opens a maintence corridor. It is cramped and dark, and the rotting smell is strongest here. These things are supposed to crisscross the ship, like ant tunnels in soil. The ship shudders, doors try to open as you walk past.

Most of the signs here have gone out. Those that are still function say TO BE SORRY. Soon, a mist grabs at their feet. Claws in the mist, Cat can hear soft laughter again, behind them. VOTH hears nothing. Another few feet, and the black oily liquid starts building up around their feet. Bits of magnetic tape float in it, along with punch cards, typewriter keys. Shards of glass. Teeth, rings.

It is the walls now, flowers grow from it. And insects buzz between them. The flowers consume them, are consumed, or fornicate with them, depending on the particular plant and insect. A moment later, you come upon a wall of flowers. Eyes stare out at you, along with strands of hair and bits of skin. They try to smile at VOTH.

Cat
07-Jul-18 02:24 PM

"Coyote, if this has all been you, it's in tremendously bad taste." Cat says that too low for VOTH to hear.

VOTH
07-Jul-18 02:25 PM

VOTH did not smile back.

"KNOW that I AM VOTH. The LAST of THE THREE PILLARS, and the RIGHTFUL INHERITOR of this VESSEL."

"It is my WILL that you MOVE."

GM
07-Jul-18 02:26 PM

Cat feels a breeze against his ear, almost like breath.

Then it's gone.

The mass of flowers chuckles.

"If only we could, lord. We'd be so happy to!"

They sing together, voices of the crew. Kept in stasis, in case of an emergency.

VOTH
07-Jul-18 02:28 PM

VOTH extended an arm towards the wall, "IT IS MY WILL", he thundered, "THAT YOU MOVE."

GM
07-Jul-18 02:29 PM

"As you will it, Lord!" They say together, voices bright and cheery.

The mass shifts, you can hear steel groan and creak. The whole ship shudders, but the mass pulls back. Bones and uniforms hang from the edges. For a moment, you can see farther down the hall.

Cat feels it first, in the pads of his paws. Metal tearing, screaming, dying. The floor gives way, you both begin to fall. VOTHs hands grab bare metal, and his palms are cut open. Painful, but meaningless. Cats claws dig into a nearby vein of flesh that sighs at his touch.

Below you is a writhing mass of black, bones and glass and pieces of the hull float in it.

Cat
07-Jul-18 02:49 PM

Cat, suddenly larger than Voth, springs from his anchoring platform and snatches Voth up by the back of his neck (Cat's conviction that that's a perfectly harmless place to sink one's teeth into is apparently sufficiently backed up by divine will that it's almost alway true). Then, springing from shard of metal to fleshy petal, he dances through the room, threading through the detritus. Once he's clear of the debris, he shakes his head, flinging VOTH to safety before following him.

When Cat lands, he's housecat-sized again. "They don't act like they really want to help you."

GM
07-Jul-18 02:52 PM

Cat looks back for a moment, behind them, there are yellow eyes in the dark.

VOTH
07-Jul-18 02:54 PM

VOTH, to his credit, managed to land on his feet without stumbling too badly. "THANK YOU, CAT", he intoned, "Your SOUL shines BRIGHTER than I thought."

"As for the CREW. I agree that they're LOST in their PURPOSE."

"Yet CONTINUE we MUST."

GM
07-Jul-18 02:55 PM

Cat cannot see anything more in the dark. The eyes disappear, there is soft laughter again.

You both walk onward, the walls are full of flowers and vines now. Insect like creatures scurry between them, made from the oily black fluid. They all smile at VOTH. There is a dying orange sign in the dark.

CENTRAL D-LIFE

The air is sticky now, mist thick, the smell of rotting fruit is enough to make your eyes water.

VOTH
07-Jul-18 03:00 PM

VOTH spared no word or glance to the ubiquitous creeping filth. He merely walked forward towards the door.

Cat
07-Jul-18 03:01 PM

Cat claws a few insects just for practice.

GM
07-Jul-18 03:06 PM

The door slides up, it has edge of teeth and tentacles swinging blindly. The orange-white metal-halide lights of CDS flicker on. (Gogoth's favorite color, VOTH remembers). Around them hang great masses of off-white liquid, punchcards twirl in it. And bubbles form on the surface, growing into creatures that skitter off into the shadows. Below is a great, rancid blue-black jungle – the reel-to-reel archive computers mostly fallen over or slumped against one another like drunk soldiers – blooming with plants and long strands of hair. There is a deep trench of oil black water on the floor, and creatures float in it. Some, almost human, others like rodents covered in setae. Some great shape patrols the water, four arms jutting out and running their fingers along the fallen computers.

Across this great marsh, on the lowest floor, is the flooded entrance to the engineering section.

(Picture of the upper decks)

A sign on the upper decks is still functioning.

EVONMIRENT ontols

VOTH
07-Jul-18 03:19 PM

VOTH eyed the monster with some apprehension. It was a great beast indeed. Something he might have engaged directly in past Creation. But not now, he was still too weak. But though he had lost much of his ability, perhaps he could borrow some from his late brother, still? VOTH made to inspect the environmental controls.

GM
07-Jul-18 03:22 PM

The room is a mess, two seal like creatures are curled together in a corner. They weakly grumble at you as you enter, and go back to whispering to one another.

CENTRAL DATA STORANGE we're helpful here TONLs

– WARNING: HIGH LEVEL OF CONTain-life
– ATTem,ted PU-murder KILLER we stopped
– GENERATORS OFFLINE saved
– TURBINES AND AUTOCAVLE SYSTEM sleeping
– ADMINISTRATORS HAVE BEEN INFORMED

VOTH
07-Jul-18 03:32 PM

VOTH walked to the machine, and placed a hand upon it. It had no power, but he could provide. A glow set upon his palm as he placed it on the console.

Cat
07-Jul-18 03:33 PM

Cat slips into a quiet corner, watching VOTH operate a terminal.

GM
07-Jul-18 03:42 PM

Cat jumps from frond to frond, across ruined computers, oily moss, and watches the four arms as they twitch. Each is tipped with a powerful sensing organ, – smelling the air around it, and sensing magnetic material, but not more powerful than cat's gift for stealth. He watches it's routine, how it snaps something up that looks like a hybrid between a human man and an eel and forces it below the waves. He finds the perfect place to pounce it, should the moment come. It is none the wiser.

Above, VOTH presses his fingers into the console. His power bleeds out into it. Wires jump towards it, sipping greedily. Cat can see the pearl-white light move on the wires, across the bottom of the swamp – full of uniforms, teeth, and pieces of skin twisted in pond lilies.

TURBINE ONE…M.RDR RSPNDNG

The arms bob in the water, the fingers turn towards one wire and there is another

KRRRURRKNK

GENERATOR TWO POWERLINE CUT, REATTACH no don't

The first turbine begins to spin up, and black fluid begins draining. But not fast enough.

VOTH
07-Jul-18 03:49 PM

"CREW", VOTH did not turn his eyes from the console, "I have a TASK of great IMPORT for you. You must ATTACH the generator beneath the brackish MURK back onto the SYSTEM."

"This is an ORDER from your SUPERIOR. It is IMPERATIVE that you SUCCEED."

GM
07-Jul-18 03:52 PM

The heads of every creature cock, and they turn towards VOTH for a moment. Each nods in unison, then moves towards the cut cable. Together, they begin vomitting up wire and solder to crudely join both halves.

Magnetic solder.

The fingers of the creature begin to dance. Cat can see a great snout rise above the water – crocodilian and covered in magnetic tape. A low roar fills the room before it rushes towards the once-crew and begins ripping them to shreds.

Cat
07-Jul-18 03:59 PM

If Cat is good at anything, it's proper timing. The creature roars, and in throwing its head back to let the sound travel, it exposes its throat for the splittest of seconds! Cat strikes!

GM
07-Jul-18 04:04 PM

Cat jumps, through the air and the vines, accounting for every little bit of flight. It had to be a perfect pounce, worthy of Tiger herself.

And it is. His fangs sink into the creatures throat, and it realizes an awful choked gurgling. Cat's mouth begins to fill with a terrible, sickly sweet fluid. It sings to him, sings to his lungs. Whispers.

Oh, what mess have you gotten yourself into now, little prince?

Coyote's voice.

And then the cable is repaired. The turbines roar to life as VOTH's power surges through them. A deep woman's voice speaks from a cracked speaker below the water.

VENTING PROTOCOL ACTIVE

The swamp begins to drain, spent tape, teeth, uniforms, skin and hair and lilly pads are all shredded as they fall into the intake and purged into the rest of the black mass. Soon there is only a drained, musty room and many confused creatures flopping around.

Cat takes a Level 2 Stomach Injury unless they resist

The creature is dragged towards the vents with a wounded roar, and slowly chopped to pieces – sprayed across the room as it dies.

Cat
07-Jul-18 04:14 PM

Cat hisses and angrily vomits up some weird fluid. "I didn't give you a gift last time you died, Coyote, so don't expect one now!"

GM
07-Jul-18 04:15 PM

Out of the corner of his eyes, Cat can see yellow eyes again, and glittering fangs. For a moment.

Ivadora
07-Jul-18 04:15 PM

Iva takes this moment to step forward and attempt to put her boot on the nearest, icky thing's face equivilent

GM
07-Jul-18 04:17 PM

She crushes the half ruined face of a man-barnacle. It dies with a whimper. The hatch to Engineering is unlocked, and the turbines die again. The creatures body is twisted into a mosaic of agony, half destroyed and jaw hanging limp. It's six eyes star blankly at the white-orange lights.

Ivadora
07-Jul-18 04:18 PM

Ivadora looks at it, and cat's twitching, injured form. The Aristocats?

VOTH
07-Jul-18 04:21 PM

VOTH turned to face Ivadora, squinting in consternation. "You FOLLOWED us? And only now that DANGER has passed you choose to reveal your form? EXPLAIN YOURSELF, KNAVE."

Ivadora
07-Jul-18 04:22 PM

"I love it when I'm accused by a guy who talks like a bad romance novel character."

"You gonna say thanks, or more like FORSOOTH and rip my bodice, or whatever?"

"We should get going"

Cat
07-Jul-18 04:26 PM

Cat puffed out his fur and preened. "Let's just finish this so we can see what the big punchline is. I doubt it'll be worth the wait."

VOTH
07-Jul-18 04:26 PM

VOTH blocked the door bodily. "BASE GLIBNESS does NOT answer my QUESTION."

Ivadora
07-Jul-18 04:28 PM

"The bird thing got into the soul storage and I had to chase it off, that's my excuse."

VOTH
07-Jul-18 04:31 PM

"An EXCUSE it is. But for NOW, it will have to SUFFICE."

VOTH turned, and made his way forward.

Cat
07-Jul-18 04:33 PM

Cat follows as well, stopping by the surviving crew to say, "You're welcome, by the way."

VOTH
07-Jul-18 04:34 PM

"I OWE you a depth of GRATITUDE for your BRAVERY, CAT. I will not FORGET."

GM
07-Jul-18 04:37 PM

The hatch to Engineering gives way with little effort. The walls are still plastered with life and muscles. They watch Ivadora carefully. Cat walks behind both of them, ever wary for Coyote's tricks. She could be so cruel when he liked. Bits of seaweed clutch at his paws, and they begin to whisper to him. He remembers a chat with Catfish, such an odd creature. Clever (for a food group member), and philosophical.

The next door opens – and water rushes between your legs. A faded orange sign proclaims.

SECTOR PENDULUM-YELLOW-11

ENGINERING —–>

SOUL STORAGE ^

REACTOR CORE <——

This area is less corrupted. Only brackish water, and a few fish made of paper nip at their heels.

Cat
07-Jul-18 04:37 PM

"Well, if you turn out to be real, it's entirely warranted!"

GM
07-Jul-18 04:37 PM

VOTH
07-Jul-18 04:42 PM

"Let us see to ENGINEERING first, to DISABLE the ENGINES."

Ivadora
07-Jul-18 04:43 PM

"AgReEd. 420 SmAsH eViL sPaCeShIpS e'Ry DaY oOhRah"

Cat
07-Jul-18 04:45 PM

Catfish was an odd sort. She once told Cat, "It's all left turns, you know? At the bottom of it all. If you've ever lost all direction or map, just turn left. Trust me, it'll save you one day." Cat had just chalked it up to the way Catfish liked to swim counterclockwise in her pond.

GM
07-Jul-18 04:47 PM

"Hell yeah boss! We haven't blown up anything in…I don't know how long!" Hello Darkness says.

You move through the corridors towards engineering. The black filth begins to thicken again, forming a crust on the water made of hair and skin. Bits and pieces of lips. Fish nibble them and swim off into the dark. The door opens with a stick scholllock

Inside the huge mass you saw during the collapse is visible again, it has grown into the engines – huge ion drives. It pumps them full of a clear fluid that smells a little like varnish, and it is their power source now. The tendrils are wrapped around it in a counterclockwise fashion.

VOTH
07-Jul-18 04:52 PM

VOTH only needed to glance at the thing to know what to do. He extended his arm towards the cancerous growths, the familiar glow appearing at his palm.

Ivadora
07-Jul-18 04:56 PM

"Hmm. Maybe the problem is, the ship is putting up with this tumor bullshit, instead, of, you know, trying to kill it."

"If I can pull this off, we won't even die." She manifests a throwing syringe, filled with some foul substances, and hurls it into a wall.

GM
07-Jul-18 05:03 PM

The engines ripple as the synringe sinks into the metal. Antibodies bloom, Ivadora can smell them. They begin attacking the tendrils, in time with blasts of light from VOTH. The engine makes a choking, gurgling sound, and the tendrils begin to recede. The hum begins to fade, Ivadora tries to keep the flow of her power steady, but the antibodies are hungry, desperate. They begin chewing into the engine's workings. Soon it gutters, and she knows it will never light up again.

PRIMARY OBJECTIVE COMPLETE

As the mass retreats, an airlock appears again. you can sense stars on the other side.

Anyone who wishes to leave may do so now. Bonus objective related to the soul tanks is still open; may also attempt to salvage records of what happened to the ship in CDS

VOTH
07-Jul-18 05:04 PM

VOTH nodded to himself, but it was not time for celebration just yet. "The SOUL TANKS yet AWAIT us."

He started walking.

Ivadora
07-Jul-18 05:06 PM

"Sounds good"

Cat
07-Jul-18 05:06 PM

Cat harrumphs. "I need to lick my wounds. And besides, wandering in's just playing into his hands."

Cat jumps out of the airlock in a way that would be suicidal if he weren't a literal god.

Ivadora
07-Jul-18 05:08 PM

"Bye kitty! Take care!"

VOTH
07-Jul-18 05:09 PM

VOTH nodded, but said nothing.

GM
07-Jul-18 05:12 PM

The airlock closes behind Cat with a THUD and you turn around, back towards the junction. The fish stare at you now, as if they had just witnessed a great crime. The water is still draining. Ivadora can sense something just behind her eyelids as they move. In the corners, on the walls. The door is Soul Storage is ajar, stuffed with reeds and lily pads. Darkness swallows them all with a burp.

"Real greasy boss, and not the fun way" He says.

Soul storage has become a marsh too – covered in dim purple light. But a more tranquil one. Mantids signal each other across the tanks, in elaborate dances. For mating or battle, neither of you is sure. The tanks themselves are still brilliant, pure white. VOTH walks up to one terminal.

THANKS ATUS: offline

SECONDARY SYSTEMS DESTROYED

Several fish nibble on the magnetic tapes of the computers.

Ivadora
07-Jul-18 05:16 PM

"I have ideas."

"On how to get this working again."

"Obviously we need to rip out the tanks wholesale and get their support system going but with this…eco system, it'd be a shame to let it go to waste."

GM
07-Jul-18 05:17 PM

"Boss these bugs would fry up good!" Darkness says, holding several half eaten ones – limbs and heads jutting from his mouth.

Ivadora
07-Jul-18 05:18 PM

"Stop eating the raw material!" she punts Darkness off a wall. "I am thinking."

GM
07-Jul-18 05:19 PM

"BOSSSSSSS!" it whines.

Ivadora squints at him, and he finally gets up. It takes a minute to waddle up to Ivadora, stomach fat with mantids.

"Whadda we gonna do?"

VOTH
07-Jul-18 05:25 PM

VOTH made some sort of strange, disapproving grunt. "I do not APPROVE of these CREATURES. If you INSIST upon them, you will have to take care of them YOURSELF."

Without further word, he made to disconnect the machinery.

Ivadora
07-Jul-18 05:26 PM

"Oh me oh my, a boug doing manual labor, truly we live in dire times."

GM
07-Jul-18 05:28 PM

why?

Flickers on a monitor as you work together. The creatures watch you, and hiss as you work. Soon they abandon their dances and begin to circle you.

we were happy

Wires snap away, and the tanks go dark. Still clean, and now disconnected from the whole. But now you are surrounded with hissing mantids.

"Boss, I told ya we shoulda ate'em first!"

Darkness snaps his jaws at them.

Ivadora
07-Jul-18 05:31 PM

"THey're spicy! And not just palette wise" She raises her hands and a foot as if to stomp dramatically but just starts ranting."

"New times, new places, can't stay in the womb forever, kiddies, we've got a new universe to make, a big BIG world out there! And we need all the little bugs and nematodes and fishes that squirm up dude's weens, oh, yes, all of them, a big ark of life…."

GM
07-Jul-18 05:41 PM

As Ivadora rants the mantids begin to sway, they listen as she talks. Yes, they will have purpose, they will consume flesh, they will squirm their way inside of bodies and bloom into stranger things. Their mandibles begin to elongate, their wings turn sharp and smile at Ivadora. The tanks are yours to remove from the ship as you see fit.

VOTH
07-Jul-18 05:46 PM

VOTH exuded an aura of disapproval, but no words to the effect.

"It is FINISHED. Let us leave."

GM
07-Jul-18 05:47 PM

"Boss, are you trying to replace me?" Darkness says.

Ivadora
07-Jul-18 05:47 PM

"The ship itself still has uses. Once its cleaned up, I see great uses for it."

GM
07-Jul-18 05:47 PM

"First with the cat and now with your new pals!"

Ivadora
07-Jul-18 05:48 PM

"Aww sweetie, no, you'll always be the an awful albatross around my neck and all around piece of shit."

GM
07-Jul-18 05:49 PM

"Awwwww boss, you really mean tha-"

His brain catches up with your words.

"HEY BOSS, I'M ONLY TRYIN' TO HELP OUT!"

Ivadora
07-Jul-18 05:53 PM

"I know. I know, we all just do what we can. The cycle cannot be broken."

Advertisements